The Minister of Environment, Gheorghe Salaru: the “Environment Protection in the Basins of International Rivers” project is a chance for the Republic of Moldova to unite at an international level the integrated management’s efforts of water resources.
On March 15, 2013 a press conference took place at the Ministry of Environment with the topic “The Project: Environment Protection in the Basins of International Rivers”, whose aim consists in the protection and efficient handling of water resources in the basins of international rivers, especially in the Black Sea region, as a continuation of the activities previously begun within the international projects implemented in the Black Sea region. The minister of Environment, Gheorghe Salaru and the expert group leader, Andrei Demidenko, answered to the journalists’ questions.
Minister Salaru informed the journalists about the fact that the project was started at the beginning of the year 2012 and will be finished in the year 2015, financed by the European Union and implemented in 6 countries – Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine. The aim of the project is the protection and efficient handling of water resources in the basins of international rivers, especially in the Black Sea region. The general objective of the project consists in the application of the principles of integrated management of water resources, promoted by the Directive of the Framework regarding Water of the European Union, by elaborating the Management Plans for the international rivers’ basins, selected in the cross-border context by the beneficiary countries. During the year 2012, within the mentioned project, many actions took place in our country, the implementation team of the project and a group of international experts in the hydrological monitoring came in contact with scientific institutions, which know the going situation and existing issues regarding the execution of water state monitoring. Subsequently, a team of international experts from within the project paid a work visit to the State Hydrometeorological Service (SHS) for the purpose of assessing the state of laboratories, responsible for the water quality monitoring (biological and hydrochemical monitoring).
Andrei Demidenko, the experts’ representative, recapitulated the undertaken activities mentioning that at the end of the year 2012, there took place several seminaries of teaching in the field of executing monitoring and assessing of the state of waters and subsequent classification of waters from the point of view of ecological, chemical and hydromorphological state and regarding the way of identification, delimitation and classification of water objects. A teaching seminary was organized by the State Hydrometeorological Service, whose subject was the Accreditation of laboratories and control quality, at which specialists participated from within the laboratories regarding quality control of environment components from the SHS and the State Ecological Inspectorate.
From March 13 – 15, 2013, the international experts group from within the team of implementation of the project “Environment Protection in the Basins of International Rivers”, were in a work visit in the Republic of Moldova, where they had an official meeting at a higher level with Mr. Gheorghe Salaru, the minister of Environment and Mrs. Valentina Tapis, the vice minister of Environment, who is the National coordinator of the project, with leaders and specialists from within the institutions subordinated to the ministry, which participate in the project’s activities. The official discussions had an informal character, with reference to the project’s achievements and the actions suggested for the following period.
At the “Elaboration of the Management Plan of the Hydrographic Basin of the Prut River and the Aspects of Formation of the Cross-border Basin Consultative Bodies” workshop, organized on March 14, participated the work group members for the project implementation coordination, the specialists from within the subdivision of the ministry, as well as guests from within nongovernmental organizations. There were emphasized the objectives of the project, presented the results and drawn the key priorities, emphasis being put on the stages of the elaboration of the management Plan of the hydrographic basin of the Prut River. The preliminary report of the Analysis of the hydrographic basin of the Prut River was presented at the workshop’s realizations, created as for the Moldovan part as well as for the Ukrainian one of the basin and which represents the first stage in creating the Management Plan of the hydrographic basin of Prut River. Another aspect discussed within the workshop, was the possibility of creating a cross-border basin consultative body, which would promote the principles of the Directive of the Framework regarding Water of the European Union.
NOTE: The “Environment Protection in the Basins of International Rivers” project is a regional one, financed by the European Union and implemented by the Hull&Hyman Dynamics Consortium (tender winner) in 6 countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine), and started at the beginning of the year 2012 with the implementation period of 4 years (2012-2015). The total budget is of about 7 million euro, reported to all the beneficiary countries.
The general objective of the project is to apply the principles promoted by the Directive of the Framework regarding Water of the European Union 2000/60/UE, by elaborating the Management Plans for the basins of international rivers, selected as pilot basins by the beneficiary countries. According to the reference terms of the project, each country selected a pilot basin, for which a management plan of the basin is being created. The Republic of Moldova and Ukraine decided upon the selection of the hydrographic basin of the Prut River.
The expected results
- The Management Plan for the basin of the Prut River will be elaborated.
- Additionally, it will be created a Program of measures for the achievement of the objectives regarding the assurance of quantitative and qualitative protection of waters in this basin.
- A priority action from the Plan of measures will be selected according to the decision of the country, for which accomplishment the Republic of Moldova will benefit of a local pilot project financing (the maximum amount, which could be allocated for this small pilot project is estimated up to about 100 thousand euro).
- The advanced GIS equipment is to be leased for the identification and delimitation of water objects. The Republic of Moldova requested that this equipment, after the expiry limit of the lease (more than 3 months), to be donated to the country.
- Support will be offered for the achievement of the country’s obligations towards international treaties whose member is the country: Convention regarding the lasting protection and use of the Danube River and the Convention regarding the protection and use of cross-border streams and international lakes.
- There will be elaborated methodologies and recommendations in the field of ecological, chemical and hydromorphological state assessment of the rivers’ basins.
- Support will be offered for the creation of a cross-border basin consultative body, which would promote the principles of the Directive of the Framework regarding Water of the European Union.
- Different initiations will be offered for the specialists from the institutions under the ministry, involved in the elaboration of management plans of the hydrographic basins.
- 2.7 Public involvement and awareness raising activities
- Prut Basin